Dispite the fact the women sports in India is not given as much importance and men sports, still some indi an women have made great achievment in this field.
Here is a list of some of the famous sports women on India:
- Anju Bobby George, Athlete : The First Indian athlete ever to win a medal in a world Championships in Athletics clearing 6.70 m.
- Bachendri Pal, mountaineering: the first Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest, and the fifth woman in the World.
- Geeta Zutshi ,Athlete : The top Indian woman athlete at the 1982 Asian Games, awarded with Arjuna award and Padma Shri.
- Mary Kom, 4 times World Champion, Women's boxing Awrded with Arjuna award and Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna-2009, Pepsi MTV youth icon and is the Int’l Boxing Association’s Ambassador for Women’s Boxing 2009.
- M D Valsamma , Athlete : The third Indian woman to win an individual Gold medal at the Asian Games and the first to win it on Indian soil.
- Nafisa Ali, Swimming : The National swimming champion from 1972-1974. She won the Miss India title in 1976 and was runner-up at the Miss International contest in 1977.
- Saina Nehwal, Badminton : A Indian badminton player. Currently ranked number 5 in the world by Badminton World Federation, Saina is the first Indian woman to reach the singles quarterfinals at the Olympics and the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships.
- Shiny Abraham , Athlete : Won a National Champion in 800 metres for 14 years. Shiny Abraham Wilson represented India more than 75 times in international competitoin. She holds the added distinction of representing Asia in four World Cups, She is also perhaps the only athlete to have taken part in six Asian Track & Field Meets in a row beginning 1985 in Jakarta.
- Soma Biswas, Athlete : Rose to fame when she won the silver medal in 2002 Asian Games in Busan, South Korea. She won another silver medal at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha.
- P. T. Usha , Aathlete : Regarded as one of the greatest athletes India has ever produced and is often called the "queen of Indian track and field". has won 101 international medals so far.
- Jwala Gutta : National Badminton Player, First Indian women to win a Grand Prix gold in Chinese Taipei in mixed double pair.